Windows are essential to any home, providing natural light and ventilation. Window treatments come in various styles and materials, from curtains and drapes to blinds and shades.
Drapes are an excellent way to add style and beauty to any room. In particular, vertical drapes have become increasingly popular in recent years. They are ideal for large windows or sliding doors, offering privacy and light control. They are relatively easy to install, but you should tackle the installation yourself or hire a professional. This blog will offer tips for installing these window coverings and help you decide whether DIY or professional help is the best choice.
Evaluate the measurements
Before you start installing, measure your windows or doors accurately. You want to make sure that your drapes fit well and look great. Here are some tips for taking proper measurements:
- Measure the width of your window or door frame from inside to inside. If you’re installing these window coverings on the outside of the frame, measure from outside to outside.
- Measure the height of your window or door from the top of the frame to the floor or the desired length.
- Add an extra inch to the width and height measurements to ensure the drapes completely cover the window or door.
- Once you have your measurements, you can order your vertical drapes. Some companies offer free measuring and installation services, so it’s worth checking if this is available in your area.
Choosing the right hardware
You’ll need a track or rod to hang the drapes and carriers to move them along the track. These vertical drapes require specific hardware to function correctly. Here are some tips for choosing the proper hardware:
- Consider the weight, as heavier window treatments require a more robust track or rod to support them.
- Think about the style of your room. The hardware should complement the decor and enhance the room’s overall look.
DIY installation tips
If you’re comfortable with DIY projects, installing these window coverings is relatively simple. Here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Ensure you have all the vital tools before you begin. You’ll need a drill, screws, a screwdriver, and a level.
- Start by installing the track or rod. Use a level to confirm that it’s straight.
- Install the carriers onto the track or rod.
- Hang the drapes onto the carriers. Adjust the carriers as necessary to ensure that they hang straight.
- Test the drapes to ensure they move smoothly along the track or rod.
When to hire a professional
While installing the window coverings yourself can be a rewarding project, there are times when it’s best to hire a professional. Here are some situations where you might want to consider professional installation:
- Professional installation is the safest option if you have limited DIY experience or are not confident in your abilities.
- Professional installation can ensure the window coverings are installed safely and securely if you have particularly large or heavy window coverings.
- If you have an unusual window or door shape or need custom window treatments, a professional can provide the expertise and knowledge required to create a perfect fit.
Whether you decide to tackle the installation yourself or hire a professional, these tips should help you achieve a stunning result. With patience and care, these window treatments will transform your space and provide privacy, light control, and style. If you’re unsure about your abilities, feel free to seek professional help. Ultimately, the goal is to have beautiful, functional window coverings that enhance your home and provide comfort and privacy for you and your family.